The Relation of Normal School Music to Public School Work
MetadataShow full metadata
- Introduction - 1. Society a complex system.
- Present status of music in the public schools. -1. Statistics and illustrations.
- Preparation necessary for grade teachers. -1. Ability to sing easy songs; 2. Ability to read at sight melody or a harmony part; 3. Mastery of scale construction, key signs, meter. signs, various tonalities, transpositions, etc.; 4. Knowledge of elementary composition; 5. Familiarity with lives of great composers and their works; 6. Discriminating discernment of good music.
- Reflex action of advanced Normal School status on public school music valuation, and vice versa.
- What shall we do about it?