Guadalupe Valley Electric Cooperative Oral History Collection
The Guadalupe Valley Electric Cooperative was established in 1938 with funds from the Rural Electrification Administration. Its purpose was to provide electricity to rural areas in the vicinity of Guadalupe and Gonzales counties, east of San Antonio, Texas. In 1986, the board of directors of the Guadalupe Valley Electric Cooperative, desiring to record the history of their organization, requested assistance from the history department of Southwest Texas State University. GVEC provided a list of long-time customers, employees, and board members who they felt would be good sources of information. Students in Professor Ron Brown’s oral history courses conducted a series of twenty-seven interviews from November of 1986 through December of 1987.